Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Mighty Fine Apres-midi

for a fabulous pedal across town in the late afternoon sun, the cloudless sky affording a peculiar clarity today. Passing through patches of shade on the winding, hilly streets lined with houses four times the size of ours, some with gated entries, we flew downhill, breezing past a few walkers and runners, before climbing slowly up the next little hill. there are times when I feel I'm standing still, stuck in time, so to speak, halfway up a slope, my legs turn, but there seems to be no forward progress until eventually, the pedaling becomes just ever so slightly less strained and I realize I've made the crest. Then comes the reward...flying downhill again. I delighted today in imagining these times later in the summer, in the 100+ degree heat, shielded from the sun by the limbs of escarpment oaks and pecans, savoring the air blowing against my face as I coast to the next incline, and ultimately the lake, where it's flatter and faster for a good stretch that's briefly void of red lights and stop signs.

Through downtown and back up through campus, it's always curious obtaining glimpses of other people as I pedal by...GQ boys sipping what I imagine to be a crisp, dry Pinot Grigio at their sidewalk table, professionally-clad girls winding down happy hour following another day in their cubicles, conference attendees from out of town traipsing back to their hotels, and those lanky, hipster boys on their fixies gliding so effortlessly down the street, nothing, not red lights, not cars, not pedestrians, poses any obstacle for them.

All-in-all, a mighty fine ride with a mere twinge of knee pain, loads of sights, spectacular weather, and tasty Accelerade to keep me moving.

1 comment:

rickshaw said...

nice ride!!!

hmmmm

maybe i should get a fixed gear.

p.s.

see http://rickshawz.blogspot.com/