Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Heatin' Up

The broil is on, having already hit 101 last week, and I don't mind one bit. Yes, it's warm; no, it's not unbearable, and I would even venture to say that I'm perfectly comfortable passing time on the patio, where I can lounge perspiration-free, an action never successful in Louisiana where the humidity keeps me drenched in sweat and the mosquitos keep me swatting.

Two drawbacks:
1. The air conditioned (dis-)comfort of my workplace. As I sit typing, there are goosebumps popping up all over my arms and legs, and I'm nearly shivering from the cold. In addition to posing too drastic a contrast from the outside tempurature, thereby making entering and exiting buildings shocking to my delicate system, it further compels me to over-consume the coffee in an effort to warm-up throughout the day.

2. Warm Accelerade. Unable to locate my insulated water bottle for our Sunday long(-ish) ride, I filled my regular bottles with Accelerade and ice cubes, but even before the mid-point of our ride, the 99-degree temp had rendered my bottle contents a nearly odd-tasting, lukewarm liquid.

No comments: