Wednesday, January 16, 2008

LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE 2008

LIVESTRONG 2008 is launched, and NLBG is ready to roll!

Well, more or less, that is. Perhaps less. But there's loads of time at least. So I don't doubt that we'll be stronger than we were three months ago when we completed the longest ride of our lives: those 45 hilly miles in Dripping Springs for LiveStrong 2007.

Incredibly, it's been three months already since the 2007 LSC. Time seems to have simply melted away since that glorious October day. These past few months have found Ricky rehab-ing two re-ruptured lumbar discs and myself maintaining a daily antihistamine regimen with middling success.

So, where are now, cycling-wise?

Well, the good news is that I have made one of my best purchases ever: a bike trainer. In spite of the time change and occasional rain and gusty winds and cold snaps and recently sky-high cedar counts, I am able to spin up a storm, indoors, at any hour on my road bike. I love it!

More good news is that Erik, our bike guy, recently re-fit Ricky and customized his bike a little so that he can both pedal and avoid back pain/problems. He now has an adjustable stem and new handlebars, which may look a little odd, but it gives Ricky the more relaxed, upright position he requires for now. And, like they say, or I say these days, sometimes one has to sacrifice style for comfort (although, to be honest, I used to say the exact opposite, until my SI joint dysfunction!).

Another bit of positive NLBG cycling news is that we have resumed riding our mountain bikes to Town Lake and back about once a week. It always feels so good to get outside!

All in all, 2008 is off to a good, positive start for the NLBG. It's bound to be a much brighter year than 2007. Last year, as many know, was marked by loss (once again*); my dad succumbed to sarcoma cancer...getting diagnosed just a week or so before he passed away, following two lengthy hospitalizations, loads of tests and no answers.


With that said, I'm looking forward to challenging ourselves to be stronger and healthier than ever before and to challenging those we know to do the same. We'll continue to do what we can to make a difference.


Please visit our team page and consider supporting us for the 2008 LIVESTRONG Challenge:
http://austin08.livestrong.org/northloop

*once again, because Ricky and I have already lost our mothers to cancer...


3 comments:

Henrike said...

Hey Carla and Ricky,

I'm looking forward to seeing you again for this year's challenge- Amanda and I are going to ride the 45 miles again, too. Good luck on your fundraising and training. Most of all a happy and healthy 2008 to you and your loved ones.

Henrike.

carlsbad said...

Happy New Year!
I was getting ready to write you, but looks like you beat me to it! Hope all's well...we're getting fired up already!

rickshaw said...

don't forget VALENTINEZ DATE Thursday after or before Moohhangers at Mean Eyed Cat!