Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Training Update

So, we're registered for a half-marathon, but neither one of us can really run! My horrible, agonizing SI joint malfunction nearly three years ago brought an abrupt end to my running days; Ricky's ruptured discs have terminated his. It saddens me, too, because I really enjoyed running. Even these days, when we're walking at Lady Bird Lake, I sometimes get the urge just to take off as fast as I can down the trail. It may sound strange, but I do enjoy watching strong runners pass me by...it looks so effortless.
Curious about my si joint hypermobility? Thought so! Well, to spare you all the fascinating details, let me say that it was completely debilitating; for months, I could barely walk 50 feet without limping in excruciating pain in my iliopsoas (hip flexor) and subsequently in my si joints. Finally found the right doctor with the right PT. It's been a very long journey to rehab and undo all the damage that had been done. I've been fortunate enough to find a fabulous trainer, and even though I still have painful flare-ups, I am somehow stronger than I was before this even ever happened to me. I've accomplished things that I never would have even thought of before...best example: the Livestrong Challenge. Two years ago, I couldn't even pedal a bike to the next-door neighbor's driveway. Horribly painful. Fast-forward to October 2007: 45 hilly miles!?! Are you kidding?? Between Sam my trainer and Erik my bike guy, I kept getting stronger, riding more and more. "Graduating" to a road bike.
So, this makes me want to do more. To continue to get stronger and healthier, to push myself to do more...this is why we're registered for the half marathon. Even if I can't run it, there's no reason not to try to walk it.

No comments: