Sunday, June 8, 2008

Of Heat, Wind and Canines

Heat:
Well, it's been hot. 23 straight days (well) above 90 -- several of those in triple digits of 100 or 101. Many others at 98 or 99. Yesterday topped out at 101. But, again, it's not so humid here, so I can be outside without being drenched in sweat.

Wind:
Gusty times! Winds blowing from 20-30 mph, with gusts of near 40, made pedaling less than a "breeze" (sorry!) this past week. Take last Wednesday's Balcones ride which first led me straight into the fierce wind down Lake Austin Blvd., and later, as I turned a corner, got me and my bike pushed over a foot or so as a gust picked up and blew across me.

Canines:
Saturday we FINALLY participated in our first informal group ride. Again with the wind! Again with the heat! And something new to the mix: dogs. Country dogs that shot out of nowhere, two of them, not only to give chase to the five of us cyclists, but also to "go for the kill." The ride leader got bit by one of them. I narrowly escaped, as did the rest of the group. In any case, we decided to turn around with them, thereby ending the ride early...we still managed to log 24 miles, and hey, with the wind we had to work against, it probably counts for more!



No comments: