Monday, June 2, 2008

Real Ale Ride = Real Fun

Well, at least they were honest in their description of the course: "Big Climbs, Hilly, Low Traffic Area, moderate climb, Rollers, Rolling Hills, Rural, Scenic, Waterfront"

We opted for the 30-mile course, due in part to how beat up/worked over I felt following Friday's PT session; I didn't think I had 50 in me. Mike chose the 50 -- Ricky and I were figuring that he would finish that before we could finsih 30! Ha!

Waiting to roll, we ogled lots of cool bikes and saw all sorts of people -- from hipster fixie kids to hardcore triathletes, to the owner of our neighborhood bike shop: the Peddler. It felt quite festive! Looks like Ricky was pumped up to pedal!



From the elevation profile and course map, I knew about when it would be coming -- the steepest, longest hill I would have ever tackled on two wheels. It was a nasty one. Ten times the one on Pecos. Some people simply fell over, others pushed their bikes up. Not knowing how much I had in me, I just kept spinning and counting and breathing,and then there I was, at the crest! Another shot of Accelerade and I kept going. Then, there was another fairly nasty one, which I wasn't quite anticipating. I made that one, too, and cruised to the first rest stop.




See, it doesn't look soooo bad, does it, as we're about to head out from the first rest stop? Well, around the curve in the road, way up ahead, there was a nasty surprise that rivaled that first one. More people falling, more people walking. I made it, seated, just to the top, where I had to take a breather. Before I knew it, I was flying down the longest, steepest downhill ever..having forgotten my computer chez moi, I have no idea at what speed I topped out, but I do know that it was fairly exhilirating, and that whatever it was, Ricky was much faster, thanks to gravity...he absolutely blew by me!

In no time we arrived at the second rest stop where things were festive -- music jamming loud from a PA, and volunteers in uniforms of camouflage t-shirts acting as bike valets. A very sweet lady held my bike for me while I refilled my water bottle. Ricky indulged inadvertently in Pickle Juice, believing that it was actually a small bottle of Gatorade. NON, MERCI!!

Following my "big climb" thrills, the remaining "rollers" and "rolling hills" passed relatively painlessly, and by the last few miles, I dare to say that I felt pretty strong, which doesn't mean I was ready to do the whole course all over again, but that I probably could have handled the 50 miler. Mike did tell us, though, that that route had another 3 or 4 pretty steep climbs.

Of course, the reward was the post-ride fete at Real Ale Brewery -- live music, food and brew! Why, there was even a vegetarian option. While Ricky chowed down on brisket and sausage, I enjoyed a Portabella mushroom burger on a whole wheat bun with potato salad, veggie beans, and slaw (a vinegary kind -- no mayo). Only one way to wash it all down and get some post-ride carbs -- Fireman's #4 in our commorative Real Ale Ride pint glasses!



We stuck around for the very educational tour of the brewhouse and another round of Fireman's!

So, there you are..the Real Ale Ride was so much fun! And, like I wrote above, they were honest in the course description -- it was absolutely scenic! It's gorgeous out there, and I wish I had taken some pics out on the course itself!

3 comments:

Henrike said...

Absolutely amazing- I can still remember (not so long ago) when you were talking about getting started to train for the 1st Challenge ride. Amazing- now you're already a Pro at completing those rides ;-)

Keep up the great work! Hugs, Henrike.

Zwieblein said...

Congratulations, and then more! Plus, one of my friends out here really enjoys the Real Ale.

Hope to see you soon!

rickshaw said...

Those hills were "chalenging"! I had a blast and the countryside was beautiful.

How about the pub crawl ride from downtown this Saturday night?