Wednesday, February 20, 2008

13.1

things NLBG learned from, through, and during our first half:

1. Accelerade still rocks!
2. Gel shots: great while pedaling, messy while jogging. Shot blocks next time? (does this mean we're doing this again?!?)
3. Hydration belts dorky, but really so practical that we don't care anymore
4. Deliverance not so much an inspirational choice of pre-race film
5. Self-imposed, trainer-suggested, even mandated, pre-race resting not only effective, but permits me to practice, with trainer's blessings, nonetheless, the one thing at which I truly excel: lounging, formally known as "tapering" in cases such as this.
6. Our quads hated us on Monday
7. So did my right hip flexor (that no-longer-hidden prankster!), but, shockingly, not my si joints
8. The full marathon winner finished twice the distance in 40 minutes less time
9. Training matters, and NLBG trained pretty well
10. Hydration and nutrition matter, and NLBG took this seriously and was smart about it
11. We accomplished something we never thought possible
13. I'm stronger than I was even before my si joint/hip flexor disaster
13.1: Ready for a marathon?!

No comments: