Sunday, February 24, 2008

Today's Taste of Spring 2008

Recalls the spring that wasn't quite in 2007, for it was just over a year ago that my dad was first hospitalized on the very day that I was making the 7-8 hour drive to visit. I recall how it struck me somewhere between here and Giddings that I had forgotten my bag of clothes, but I had remembered my bags of music and food. I nearly made a u-turn on Hwy 290, but decide to plug on in lieu of adding another hour or two to the drive. When I did arrive, it was straight to the ER. I stayed the night in that ER cubicle with him, on a stretcher beside his. I remember realizing that the 15 hour wait for a room was another of the post-Katrina infrastructure problems that no one ever really discussed, incapable as they seemed of moving past the more palpable traffic issues.

And so it began, Spring 2007, observed through the windshield of various Enterprise rental cars and the windows of several hospital rooms. Challenging my si joints and illiopsoas, I climbed stairs in the hospital for exercise, slept on the overused, vinyl, fold-out loveseat-chaise thing in the hospital room(s), and, on several occasions, made the entire drive non-stop, just to see if I could. All the while, we were filled with so many questions and no answers...Why the low hemoglobin? Why the DVT? Why the swelling? Why the pain?

Fast-forward a year...these earliest indications of a soon-unfolding spring have me filled with hope as I inspect trees and other perennials for signs that they too have been renewed. Days lengthening in anticipation of all of the new season's rituals: our favorite 10Ks and festivals such as the Kite Festival, Eeoyre's Birthday, patio-living, late afternoon outdoor exercise, re-opening of Deep Eddy Pool...

Today was splendid...completely and painfully exhausted from Ricky's late night gig and my venture with a friend to a midnight movie, we were anxious to be outside in the late February warmth under a cloudless sky and to further our recovery from last weekend's half marathon. To the mountain bikes we turned (I honestly felt a little too fatigued to deal with the technicalities of the road bike) and to our old 18 mile route down North Loop to Balcones to Lake Austin to downtown and back up Duval...it's been since October, since just before Ricky's back injury that we've pedaled Balcones. It wasn't quite easy, but it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be, particularly handling that hill we hate on Pecos. In any case, it felt good to pedal like that again at a nice, slow pace.



2 comments:

Zwieblein said...

Oh, hell, I wish I were there; for one thing, this place lacks midnight Gainsbourg retrospectives, and people eager and willing to accompany you to said events. Any ethics/religion/cultural studies jobs on the horizon you know of?

nicole said...

"these earliest indications of a soon-unfolding spring have me filled with hope as I inspect trees and other perennials for signs that they too have been renewed."

I agree -- there is something so... encouraging! about spring... somethings like a guarantee. thanks for letting me read you! have a truly renewing season :)